The leading cause of deaths and injuries in seniors is falling. This is why it’s important to begin taking steps to prevent falls. From making changes to hiring an in-home care service, there are several ways that you can maintain your safety and have a fulfilling life. Here are some resources to get you started!
Make Proper Home Modifications
Just making a few simple modifications to your home will make it a safer place.
- Grab bars can be both aesthetically pleasing and provide something to hold onto.
- Improving lighting in your home will make it easier to see obstacles. Consider upgrading to a smart lighting system.
- Hire a reliable construction service to build ramps in place of steps or ledges.
- Add non-slip mats throughout your home, but especially in your bathroom.
- Investing in cable sleeves will keep your wires out of the way.
- An added bonus is that making home modifications could be a good way to raise your home’s appraisal value.
How To Hire An In-Home Care Service
Having someone on hand to help with things like getting dressed and navigating difficult parts ofthe home will help keep you from falling.
- Take some time to research home care services to find the best fit for you.
- Put together an employment contract so that everyone is on the same page.
- It’s important for you to feel comfortable with your home care provider, so plan on asking questions to get to know them.
- Make sure to communicate your specific needs.
Make Lifestyle Changes
There are several lifestyle changes you can make that will help you stay safer in your home.
- Having a place for everything will help you keep dangerous clutter out of the way.
- Avoid wearing loose clothing. Instead, invest in clothing that is comfortable and easy to put on.
- Invest in comfortable, protective headwear like the Buddy Banz from Head Bumpa.
- There’s a wide variety of durable non-slip shoes available for seniors.
- Maintaining a nutrient-rich diet will keep you at your healthiest.
- Adding an exercise routine to your daily life will make you stronger and more balanced.
While falling is incredibly dangerous, there are several ways that you can go about preventing falls. You can age in place at home by making a few modifications, such as adding better lighting and removing tripping hazards. Hiring an in-home care service will also help you stay safe. Finally, making changes to your daily life will both improve your health and reduce the risk
- Tanya Lee, author